Sunday, April 25, 2010

MY NEW HOME

I've been eager to live in my own yurt
since spending five winters living in one in the Tug Hill Region of NYS,
deep in the heart of snow country.

The ski resort where I lived and worked for 5-6 months each season,
Salmon Hills, had 7 yurts, from 16' to 30'.
Each time I entered the main (communal) yurt I envisioned it as my own home.
I spent loads of time cooking and entertaining in that yurt,
always picturing my own layout.
I loved the space and the open feeling of the space.

It's addicting, ask any yurt owner.
They're warmer than most people think, the air circulates freely.
I have so many ideas and plans for my yurt.
The hard part will be paring down enough
to fit everything inside that I want to live with
yet keeping it minimal enough to feel not crowded or too busy looking.

It's important to me to have separate spaces
so it's a particular challenge creating these spaces
so it doesn't feel like you're seeing the entire interior
from anywhere you find yourself.

I can't wait to get this going.
And I can't wait to have you over for tea
so I can share this amazing space with you.

--------------------------------------------
(These photos are borrowed from archives found on line.
Actual photos of my yurt will gradually replace these. Won't that be fun!?)

-------------------------------------------------------
BUT.
This is all very exciting, but...
There's loads of work to do!
First selling my parent's house, finding a piece of land,
ordering the yurt and moving all my stuff into storage
for the two-month period between moving out and moving in.
I have a contractor who's excited to work on this project.
Before the yurt comes the Amish garage
(a person needs storage space and a workshop space!).
Before the yurt arrives the platform is constructed
then everything should go rather quickly.

I have a contractor who's excited to get to work on it when the time's right.
There are cool time-lapse videos of this on YouTube...it's very cool.
Keeping your fingers crossed for me? GOOD!

2 comments:

  1. Fingers and toes crossed for both yurt and Amish garage! Will you be building the yurt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, hi there, Jo! The yurt is a kit, pre-fabricated. The platform will be built by a contractor friend who's allowing me to 'assist' him. There needs to be a raised portion for the yurt to mesh with but I'll also have decks, 'front' and 'back'...whatever that is with a circle! I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete